Sunday, August 1, 2010

Being Inspired by Others

Pergolesi's Stabat Mater sung by countertenor Andreas Scholl and soprano Barbara Bonney is divine. Added to this video is the subliminity of Michelangelo's David. When I first saw the Pieta I was in college. I stood there immobilized, silently weeping uncontrollably. It breathes and speaks. It's just the most amazing piece of art. I must have stood at the sculpture for an hour. There was so much to take in, such extraordinary lines from the neck to the clothing to the femur bone to consider.

A lot has been written about Rodin's passion for movement. He must have gotten it from Michelangelo, not to mention Claudel. I seemed to see the scene at Golgotha and hear the words of he who spoke to Mary saying, "Woman, behold your son." The words reverberated again and again in my head as I stood there. He would soon be laid to rest. Michelangelo made this setting real from the tiniest of detail. I was simply in awe. The coupling of the Stabat Mater and the Peita in this video is beautiful.

1 comment:

septembermom said...

What would I do without these posts from you, my friend? Lovely and inspiring. Hope all is well with you :) The kids and summer are keeping me busy these days. I miss visiting you here more often. Please know that I think of you often. Hugs...