Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Being an Expert

There is just something about proclaiming to be an expert that seems to immediately diminish your standing and shows your ignorance and lack of humility. Now there are things that I'm really good at, even perhaps better than many. But I am cognizance of my lack of knowledge.

We are not omniscient. So, why do we pretend to be? Personally, I accept the fact that I do not know all there is to know about anything. Period! This acceptance requires humility and a healthy ego. (I check myself daily.) In fact, the more I sincerely acknowledge what I do not know, the more I actually come to know. I find that this only works with a sincere and willing heart.

Consider these words from The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb:

"You cannot ignore self-delusion. The problem with experts is that they do not know what they do not know. Lack of knowledge and delusion about the quality of your knowledge come together-the same process that makes you know less also makes you satisfied with your knowledge."

No comments: