Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Being a Winner?

I have asked myself why this 52 second classic movie scene from Syriana makes me laugh. Perhaps it's the odd juxtaposition of such tragic lines aligned with our peace. ("Corruption keeps us safe and warm.") Perhaps it's the unreality of such lines spoken by a small unimposing figure, not a commanding one; the long shots are great in showing the sleazy smallness and lack of stillness of this oily Texas businessman. ("Corruption is government intrusion into market efficiencies in the form of regulations.")



In any event, I find the scene brilliant. Perhaps the actor's flailing and timing have something to do with the comedic and surreal nature of the lines, not to mention evoking Nobel Laureate, Milton Friedman. It all seems so out there. But there is that saying about life imitating art and art imitating life. For me, I will take this scene as simply classic movie drama. Corruption is not why we win.

(While the scene is brilliant, the movie, though bold and well-acted, is by far too convoluted. I'd give it a 2 out of 5 stars.)

No comments: