Sunday, July 19, 2009

Being in Two Acts

"F. Scott Fitzgerald said there are no second acts in American lives. I think I've proven him wrong, and all because I refused to settle for a one-act existence, the 30 years I taught English in various New York City high schools."

--Frank McCourt

Mr. McCourt, the author of Angela's Ashes, died today. We are grateful that he was here in his first act as a teacher and in his second act as a writer, inspringing many and giving meaning to life in both acts.

If there are known first and second acts, there must be others. Which act are you in? Live fully!

6 comments:

Marion said...

Oh, dear, I knew this was coming when I heard he was gravely ill. I loved his book, "Angela's Ashes". It's one of the greatest books I've ever read about the resilience and strength of the human spirit. He will surely be missed, but what a wonderful legacy he left in his writings....

Judith Ellis said...

Oh, yes, Marion! Yes, indeed! May God bless his.

DB said...

There are definitely second acts, and even thrid acts, I'm sure. The thing one mustn't forget is that after the curtain closes on the first act, there's an intermission.

DB

Judith Ellis said...

Good reminder, DB. What is done in the intermission? A resetting, a direction change, but a continuation of the drama nonetheless? This is life, eh?

septembermom said...

His talent will dearly be missed. I'm so looking forward to my second act. I see a life ahead of me filled with attempts at creative expression, participating in volunteer work and continuing my education. I'm enjoying where I am now with the kids, but it's exciting to think of what the future may hold.

Judith Ellis said...

Oh, it is indeed exciting, Kelly! You are such a wonderful mother I can only imagine what your second act will be like. Continued joy!