Sunday, November 8, 2009

Being Objectionable

Here is Rep. Tom Price (R-GA) attempting to forbid the Democratic Women's Caucus from making their case about the benefits of the health bill for women by screaming, "I object" over them. Rep. Lois Capps (D-CA) could only say "Mr. Speaker, I ask unanimous consent to--," when Price shouted "I object."



The presiding chair, Rep. John Dingell (D-MI), tried to gain control of the disruptions, declaring to Price that "the request is not yet before the House" and that he was "out of order," to little avail. Price continued shouting, "I object! I object! I object!"

The same objectionable tactics were used on Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy (D-OH), who asked the perfect question, "Do I not have the right to be able to continue my sentence without objections that are trying to censor my remarks here on the floor that I have a right to make as a member of this House?"

Of course, Kilroy's question went unanswered. If this wasn't so sad and serious, it would be childish and funny.

No comments: