Thursday, November 26, 2009

Being Thanksgiving Day

One Day is there of the Series

One Day is there of the Series
Termed Thanksgiving Day.
Celebrated part at Table
Part in Memory.

Neither Patriarch nor Pussy
I dissect the Play
Seems it to my Hooded thinking
Reflex Holiday.

Had there been no sharp Subtraction
From the early Sum--
Not an Acre or a Caption
Where was once a Room--

Not a Mention, whose small Pebble
Wrinkled any Sea,
Unto Such, were such Assembly
'Twere Thanksgiving Day.

--Emily Dickinson

Happy Thanksgiving! This day I am thankful for you.

2 comments:

septembermom said...

I love that you gave me some "Emily joy" today :) I never tire of her verse. It speaks to me differently each time I get the chance to read her lines.

Happy Thanksgiving dear friend!

Judith Ellis said...

Kelly - I have been in love with Emily Dickinson since middle school and I am so happy to share this poem with you today.

Love I send you and yours, my friend, on this Thanksgiving Day!