Monday, February 15, 2010

Being Mozart

Enjoy the Queen of the Night's second aria, "Hell's Vengeance Boils in my Heart." It's from the opera The Magic Flute. This classic aria is sung by the forever brilliant flawlessly precise Lucia Pop. (The singer is not Cecelia Bartoli as noted in the tag.) Many opera singers have died onstage singing this aria. Well, not really but you'll probably hear the level of professionalism and talent needed for such a piece.



"Hell's Vengeance Boils in my Heart"

Hell's vengeance boils in my heart;
Death and despair, blaze around me!
If Sarastro does not feel death pains because of you,
Then you will be my daughter nevermore.
Disowned be forever,
Forsaken be forever,
Shattered be forever
All the bonds of nature
If Sarastro is not bleached because of you!
Hear, gods of vengeance, hear the mother's oath!

6 comments:

septembermom said...

The power and passion in her voice are amazing. Her voice, a flawless instrument. Wonderful!

Judith Ellis said...

Flawless indeed, Kelly! Happy you liked her. Yes, WONDERFUL!

DB said...

Thank you Judith. Lucia Popp is one of my favorite singers. She has a voice like a bell. The brief section of triplets in the middle is enough to separate the women from the girls.

DB

Judith Ellis said...

So, true, DB, about those triplets. Murderous, not to mention where the darn thing is written. Oh, it for sure separates the women from the girls. I have always adored Lucia Pop. It was my pleasure to post it. I'm delighted you appreciate this performance. I knew you would, dear sir.

chesapeake said...

I had the pleasure of seeing this in Vienna at the Staatsoper (no other place on earth for music quite like Vienna). It was amazing, even for a girl like me who knows nothing about music. The Queen of the Night always brings down the house.

Thanks for posting!

Judith Ellis said...

Oh, Chesapeake, I'm sure that production was fantastic! And, how wonderful to see The Magic Flute in the birthplace of Mozart. Awesome! This opera has a special place in my heart as it was among the first operas that I performed. I was one off the Three Ladies. :-)