Sunday, June 14, 2009

Being Inspired by Others

Early this morning at my breakfast nook one of the waitresses wore a white graduation cap. I had seen her a few times before but she had never waited on me. She was new. But what I noticed about her right away was her cheery disposition. She was always smiling and greeting someone, even those whom she was not waiting on.

Being one who usually carries cash for the express purpose of sharing, I noticed that this morning I had not a dollar to my name. Sitting at the table, I wondered if I might leave an extra tip within my bill and have a portion of it be given to the waitress who wore the graduation cap. Was she graduating from high school or college I wondered. Today, it's hard to tell. But it really didn't matter. Either accomplishment was a good thing indeed.

When I got to the counter I asked the cashier if I might leave a gift within my tip for the graduate. I was told that that would not be possible. I would have to leave cash. I thanked the cashier and left, leaving a tip in my bill for my waitress. But as I walked out the door the sun hit my face a particular way and from this gift of light I decided that I would go to an ATM machine and come back and leave the graduate a gift.

When I returned the cheery waitress and two others happened to be standing at the counter. It was still quite early for this very popular place that usually has a winding line every weekend. I congratulated her on her accomplishment and pressed the gift into her hand. She responded as I thought she might, but this time she added a little skip to her already cheery disposition. I was happy that she was so happy.

"Congratulations on your graduation," I said again, as she literally skipped away. "May your path be forever bright."
"Thank you so much, ma'am," she shot back. "Have a blessed day."

As I left the sun had remained in its brilliant position and my face was once again bathed in light. Walking to my car I was reminded of the importance of giving and going the extra mile. This high school graduate had inspired me as I watched her serve others. Now, I wanted to be an inspiration to her.

Inspire someone today. Go the extra mile if need be.

10 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...

Judith...and so the wheel turns....giving and receiving. This is a wonderufl post and bone deep true
Hugs
LInda

Dave Wheeler said...

Judith,

What a marvelous storty. One that will often be repeated by that young lady I'm sure. I would bet that the random act of kindness one your part will touch many lives in the future through the actions of the one whose life you touched!

You're the best Auntie Judith, of this there is no doubt!

Judith Ellis said...

Linda - "It is more blessed to give than receive." But the beauty here is that in giving we receive--"so the wheel turns" indeed.

Judith Ellis said...

Dave - For as long as I can remember I have always believed in practicing "random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty." The remunerations are immeasurable. I also appreciate your encouragement. Thanks!

Opaque said...

Ah! Wonderful post! Judith, you are an angel! Yes! you are!!!

Judith Ellis said...

Ah, Ajey, my beautiful thoughtful talented young friend, what lovely words. You have evoked the biggest smile from me. Please know this. Thank you.

DB said...

Nothing random about you sweet act of kindness. It is the engine of civilization. As Mother Teresa said "we belong to each other,"

DB

Judith Ellis said...

Very nice, DB. I love the quote. Mother Teresa has long been someone whom I have admired since my elementary school days. I had learned of the great work she was doing after reading a National Geographic article I think it was.

JOHN O'LEARY said...

Great story, Judith. What good is any kind of wealth if you can't share it?

Judith Ellis said...

Not much, John. Thanks for that word.