Sunday, June 28, 2009

Being Inspired by Others



"Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening."

--Greta Garbo

This quote has a touch of the sardonic. Toughness is not merely an eternal external display but an internal resolve that depending on the circumstance comes through in a brilliant flash of a smile of knowing or a consternation of demand.

Greta Garbo has long inspired me for her authenticity and determination on screen and off not to be consumed by the consuming fire which was her great talent and the response of others to it.

By the way, she never said, "I want to be alone." She made this clear:

"I never said, 'I want to be alone.' I only said, 'I want to be left alone.' There is all the difference."

2 comments:

Marion said...

She was such a beautiful, talented woman. They just don't make movies like they used to back then. Sigh. Blessings!

Judith Ellis said...

She was indeed! I have followed she and Ingrid Bergman since I was a teenager. Sadly, they don't make movies like the ones they were in and the actors today are most certainly not cut from the same cloth either. Many blessings also to you.