Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Being Empathetic II

Watching Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, during the President's address tonight, I was reminded of the importance of women in leadership positions. Her empathy was clearly felt. A bit of motherly instinct was shown as well when Congressman Joe Wilson (R) of South Carolina disrespected the Office of the Presidency with the outburst, "you lie!" Speaker Pelosi glared in his direction. I've seen that look in the eyes of my mother, sisters, aunts, teachers, and friends. Is such an instinct valuable? It's saved my hide a few times.

2 comments:

septembermom said...

I know that glare, Judith. You're right that the mother came out in her at that moment. Nothing like a certain look to make someone quake in their boots!

Judith Ellis said...

LOL, Kelly. I think mothers do this best. Perhaps its in the genes as women are physically not as strong as men. It's sort of like the rabbit that's given speed and agility instead of bulk or the skunk that given that repugnant smell for protection instead of strength as it hobbles away. I just escaped one the other day and he was in MY garden. I suspect this skunk rightfully felt that "the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." I politely, however quickly, went the opposite direction. :-)