Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Being an Aunt VII

My young handsome talented nephew, Pierre, stands 6' 5" and got a scholarship to play college basketball. While he was a gifted athlete, his heart was never really into it, even though he played sports in junior high school and high school. Both of his sisters also received athletic scholarships to college and are by far more athletically inclined and totally into it. One graduated in sports medicine and the other is a junior in college now. Although gifted, Pierre really didn't have a heart for sports. He and I talked of it often. He was always conflicted. As an aunt and artist, I offered what help I could. Today, two years out of college, Pierre is no longer playing basketball and is following his dream of being an artist. Above is a recent picture of a dance performance. (What about that body, eh?) I love him very much and wish him the very best. I also trust that he will carry the lessons his dad and grandmother taught him. He will need it in New York. I sometimes worry about him. But I know that he has been given a solid foundation. It will not be easy.

7 comments:

DB said...

Good luck and best wishes, Pierre.

Opaque said...

Pierre, all the best mate!

Judith Ellis said...

Thank you, guys. Your good wishes are appreciated.

septembermom said...

I wish all the best of luck for Pierre. I think it's wonderful that he is pursuing his dream. God bless him in his journey.

Cinda said...

As the mum of two artists I have journeyed with them on this uncertain path. One of them said to me at a particularly hard point, "Why didn't you encourage me to be an engineer??" When joy, passion and talent come together it can't be stopped. Thank you for sharing!

Judith Ellis said...

Thanks, Kelly!

Judith Ellis said...

Cinda - As an artist for many years, I know the struggle. It's not that much different from being an entrepreneur. I went from one to the other. But I wouldn't have it no other way. I do sing occasionally, but business has been my thing for well over a decade. I do wish your children all the best. Do pass through again.