Sunday, January 10, 2010

Being Inspired by Others

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision. Their goals differed, but they all had this in common: that the step was first, the road new, the vision unborrowed, and the response they received- hatred. The great creators- the thinkers, the artists, the scientists, the inventors- stood alone against the men of their time. Every great new thought was opposed. Every great new invention was denounced. The first motor was considered foolish. The airplane was considered impossible. The power loom was considered vicious. anesthesia was considered sinful. But the men of unborrowed vision went ahead. They fought, they suffered and they paid. But they won."

--Ayn Rand, Fountain Head

To paraphrase Goethe, whatever you think you can do start it now!

We win if we stay the course of our dreams, even if we don't now!

10 comments:

Dave Wheeler said...

Judith,

"Whatever you think you can do, do it now..."

As I have gotten old...as in when I went to school there was no history old...I have found myself being smarter than I want to allow myself to believe I am. The other day I came across the Einstein quote " The only source of knowledge is experience." This helped me understand where my "new IQ" was coming from. Allowing myself to believe I can make a difference was a barrier that is behind me.

Who knows where it goes from here but doing it now is where I'm at...thanks to the support and encouragement of folks like you Auntie J...

Judith Ellis said...

Ah, yes, my friend! You ARE doing it! Regarding knowledge, while it is intricate it does not necessarily mean that we always grasp it, even through experience. But what is for certain is that the experience that you have gained has made a difference. There is also various means of assessing essence which is knowledge. IQ is only one means. But wisdom is the principle thing and it does not necessarily apply to age or IQ. Wisdom is the application of knowledge and understanding.

Opaque said...

I reckon one does not have to see the entire staircase to take the first step. Yet, people hesitate to take it.

Judith Ellis said...

Bravo, Ajey! I think it largely has to do with the unknown, what we can't see. We don't know for sure the outcome so we don't even begin. But, of course, without beginning we are assured not to know the outcome. Begin now! Geothe says that beginning has genius and power in it.

Cinda said...

I tell my students that if they feel that uncomfortable tightness in their throat or chest it likely means they need to say or do something. Our bodies tell us when to act and speak out if we just listen. I know this isn't exactly what Ms. Rand was referring to but it reminds of the risks that we take and that these do not always feel safe.

Judith Ellis said...

Beautiful summation of your thoughts, Cinda. Thank you.

septembermom said...

Love the advice to "go for it". Yesterday, I was listening to "One" by U2. I love the emphasis in that song about having only one life and doing the most with it. I'm going to remember that it's all about carpe diem. Each day is a chance to realize our conscious and unconscious dreams. Thanks Judith for reminding us to get going:)

Judith Ellis said...

My friend, Kelly, I will have to listen to the U2 song. Thanks for these two words: CARPE DIEM!

septembermom said...

Judith, I posted U2's song on my post today. Hope you enjoy it.

Judith Ellis said...

Cool, Kelly! I'll pop over.