Monday, January 18, 2010

Being Martin Luther King, Jr. II

"Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable. Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle."

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.


May the natural and spiritual seed of Martin Luther King, Jr. everywhere in the world be particularly blessed on this day. May we all sacrifice in the struggle for the progress of humanity even if we have to suffer. Justice is essential, grace too. May we learn the invaluable benefits of service everyday in the smallest of ways.

6 comments:

septembermom said...

He was a man of faith, character, vision and purpose. Whenever I read his words, I find myself inspired to be more just, more gracious, more welcoming and more thoughtful in my actions. This is an important day for all generations to remember a truly remarkable figure in our country's history. Much can be learned from Dr. King. Today and always.

Judith Ellis said...

More, more, more...Yes, yes, yes! Thank you Kelly, my dear friend. He was indeed remarkable and inspirational.

Patty - Why Not Start Now? said...

Beautiful said, Judith. And I like the more, more, more of it too. I've seen so many people today writing about hope because of him. It is inspiring. Thank you.

Judith Ellis said...

"And now abides faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

--I Cor. 13:13

Patty - Yes, hope is so very important. Faith and love too! Hope infuses possibility into any environment.

Opaque said...

I second septembermom. Undoubtedly, a |remarkable figure" who will be missed and missed.

Judith Ellis said...

Ajey, my newest nephew, it is amazing how some people have such an impact where the "missing" continues all over the world. Partially, it is the non-violent struggle that Dr. King valued in Mahatma Gandhi, another one who is missed continually. It is their message of peace that is forever sought after.