Saturday, January 9, 2010

Being Delores Lee Ellis V

Today is the day of my mother's birth. If you have read my blog for anytime you will understand the love and appreciation I have for my mother. She raised 12 independent successful children alone, of which I am the youngest, instilling us all with responsibility, kindness, grace, and ethics. While she was not perfect, every single day I am simply amazed at what she was able to do. It was nearly shy of extraordinary.

It was always like our mother was teaching us lessons for when she would no longer be here and for her grandchildren and their children's children. She had tremendous foresight. Everything was a beautiful lesson without judgment. When we messed up the most this was when her love was strongest. She never ever raised her voice; our house was very peaceful and completely spotless, not that we didn't leave our wraps about and have disputes. We did. But there was never any love lost and respect was paramount in all of our relations and surroundings.



Above is a picture my aunt recently sent me of my mother and father in California in 1960. (They are on the far left.) There were nearly half of us born at this point. My beautiful tormented father, having served in the Korean War as a very young man and having an incredibly difficult father whom he loved and respected, left the family shortly after I was born. When I look at this picture I am reminded of his sensitivity, grace, stature, and kindness and my mother's pizazz, independence, elegance and strength.

My mother passed four years ago and I miss her incredibly.

10 comments:

septembermom said...

Judith, I'll be thinking of you today. Your mother's wisdom, generosity and kindness clearly had a significant impact on all of her family. Her spirit lives on through all of you. Hugs my friend.

Wonderful picture.

Dave Wheeler said...

Auntie Judith,

Like Mother, like daughter. The respect and admiration I have for you and the wonderfully marvelous Delores Ellis is infinite. Your Mom continues to touch many lives by your being the you I know you to be! You're the best Auntie J!

Judith Ellis said...

Kelly - I embrace your hugs. Thank you, my sweet friend. By the way, the gentleman with the bow tie and stetson fedora is my great grandfather who was quite the accomplished writer and businessman.

My great grandfather was also the pastor of the largest church in Detroit of some 10 thousand people. I grew up in this church and it was NOT like the mega churches of today. It was very intimate, believe it or not, and it was ALL about the people and not the riches of the pastor and his family. It was also not about setting up the family business of ministry which seems to be largely about the control of other people's money.

The church had apartment buildings, a super market, senior citizen complex, a girls home, a boys workshop, a soup kitchen which serviced the general public during the Depression and thereafter and a massive farm. Like my dad's father, he too was known to be pretty strict, but loving my mother always said. She loved him dearly.

Judith Ellis said...

My friend, Dave - Thank you for your kind words. They are encouraging. I often feel as if I fail constantly, but I keep trying nonetheless to live up to the example that my mother lived. She, by the way, never put herself out there like that. She simply lived her life with dignity, honor and respect. Extraordinary she was! We do the best we can.

Opaque said...

I sense that you are following her footsteps. Like Dave put it, "Like Mother, like daughter".

The Write Girl said...

Quite a beautiful post Judith. You have written such eloquent words about your mother. And you display all her wonderful values and gifts. God bless you and your family.

Judith Ellis said...

Ajey - I was absolutely among the most independent ones. In fact, I watched and listened intently since I was a wee one but was most certainly not one who hung around closely and sat constantly on the her lap. I feel her presence always through the words she taught and the life she led. Thanks, my young talented friend.

Judith Ellis said...

Katina - Thanks lovely poet for your blessing and beautiful words. Popped over to your blog earlier and I await another wonderful poem. You write such short sweet vivid succulent lines. Your words are alive.

Cinda said...

What a beautiful post. Your mama lives on in her children and grandchildren. How you must miss her! I would love to sit with you and a mug of coffee and hear your stories of her.

Judith Ellis said...

Cinda - I am appreciative of your kind words. A cup of coffee in Washington State would be nice. I have yet to visit. I would also like to hear the story of you and your brave beautiful daughter. Presently, I am writing a novel that's loosely based on my family and I am reminded of the essence of my mother even more. While there are many things that are fiction there is some truth there also. Well, you know what they say about life imitating art and vice verse. :-)