Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Being Persistent II

Mother to Son

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Langston Hughes

2 comments:

JOHN O'LEARY said...

Wow, it seems like every time I check back into your blog you've written another book! (I get it: you have a ghost blogger working for you. No, on second thought, it sounds too much like you.)

To follow up on a note I left on your blog thread 117 posts ago... I'm surprised that people haven't been comparing Sarah Palin's lack of experience, foreign policy wisdom, etc. with that of George W when he first ran for President. Yes, her qualifications for national office are (in George Will's words) "negligible" but so were George Bush's. And I GUARANTEE her performance in the VP debate will surpass his performance in his first Presidential debates in 2000. So my concern is the bar has been set irretrievably low and the precedent has been set. Approximately half the voters voted for W and half of them could vote for McCain/Palin in 5 weeks.

Judith Ellis said...

Preventing stimuli is by far more difficult for me than recieving stimuli. I'm doing not so bad. I could have written so much more. :-)

The correlation given between President Bush and Palin seems very much alike. I too believe that her performance will exceed our president's performance in 2000. I also believe that her confidence level has been shaken, as was evident with Pappa John at her side during the latest Couric interview.

The difference between then and now, however, is this incredible crisis we are all in now. So, those voters who voted for Bush/Cheney may not, in fact, vote for McCain/Palin.