Monday, April 27, 2009

Being Apologetic and Appreciated

Tom Peters has an excellent post, Strategic Competence! Dammit! on the strategic relevance of aplogoies in business. A commentator posted a cool video from Church of the Customer where a Domino's franchise posted a video apology; it's not slick or fancy, but it has a nice personalable touch.

The best apology I received from Domino's was in college with the gang praying that after we ordered multiple pizzas that they would be late, even by one minute. The pizzas were then free. Believe me, this was the best apology as broke college students. Apologetic words are necessary and important, but actions are often so much better than words.

Domino's was founded in Michigan by a great entrepreneur and philanthropist, Tom Monaghan. He is the antithesis of the greedy CEO that we have been reading so much about lately. While we prayed for free pizzas as college students there was something intrinsic in the apology that was appreciated.

We were way happy then for the free pizza which got us to exclusively order from Domino's, even though they were more on time than not. But now I understand that this was the basis of Domino's core business, one of appreciation through excellence and apologies when necessary.

Bravo Mr. Monaghan and thank you!

5 comments:

Opaque said...

"The best apology I received from Domino's was in college with the gang praying that after we ordered multiple pizzas that they would be late, even by one minute. The pizzas were then free. Believe me, this was the best apology as broke college students." - I cracked up as I recalled a similar incident in my past too.

"actions are often so much better than words" - so true!!! after all, action speaks louder than words.

Judith Ellis said...

I think many of us can relate to such experiences, Ajey. While I totally believe in actions, I think words matter and are most important too.

Hey, I've been reading your posts, even though I have been commenting less. There are some very heavy pieces there of late and I tend not to comment on such, being forever sensitive to readers. One never knows where others are.

Your pieces, however, are very poignant indeed.

Khaled KEM said...

Hi Judith,

I totally agree with you. It makes a huge difference when you admit that you were wrong. A few people or businesses can actually do that.
I have a question to ask: Is the world going crazy? Now the swine flu!!
or is just when you are tired and exhausted you feel so..and everything happening around us is just normal.

I enjoy your posts as usual Judith as you are a very open minded and opinionated person.

Thanks

Judith Ellis said...

Khaled - It's NOT just you! I actually thought the same thing when this strain of swine flu was announced across North America. What occurring is beginning to take Biblical proportions which includes the Middle East and the West.

I'm glad you appreciate my posts, Khaled. This is good, as you know how much I so appreciate you as a poet and writer. I also simply like your artistic and realistic sensibilities. Bravo, my friend.

CJ said...

About the Domino's thing--

I was there!

Hey, I wonder how many of those guys kept their jobs after delivering too many orders late!

CJ