Friday, October 9, 2009

Being an Aunt IV

As I am the youngest of 12, I have many nieces and nephews, 26 to be exact. Earlier today I got a call from Sheldon. He is the 3rd oldest. (Sheldon's on the right, his older brother Ricardo is on the left and Amber, the youngest, is in the middle.)



I am particularly proud of Sheldon. He has two jobs, is in college, and has a beautiful little girl. He called me this morning, but as I was right in the middle of work I couldn't talk. I answered but told him that I would call him later. We spoke earlier this evening.

We talked for a good 15 minutes and then I asked, "Is there anything I can do?" He said, "No, Auntie Judith, I just missed you at church lately." I haven't been to service in more than a few Sundays and I have to admit to laughing so hard.

I used to call him and his brother rather infrequently and say, "Hey, I missed you today." Now, he's calling me and doing the same. I assured him that I would make it this Sunday. I later texted him to say "I love you, thank you, it was good to be missed, and I'm so proud of you." He texted me the most beautiful message back:

"thank u. i know u have been proud of me and my bro since birth. u are my one and only auntie judith and i love you unconditionally. u are beautiful and brilliant."

This text made my evening, as it reminded me of the wonderful job his parents have done. It's true too. I have encouraged them their entire lives and here he is encouraging me, responding like the wonderful adult that he is. Sheldon is a great young man and I am happy to be his aunt. He makes me proud.

10 comments:

Marion said...

Judith, you are truly blessed to have such a caring, close family. Your nephew's message was like a gift, wasn't it? It's so great to read about such caring, amazing young people. It gives me hope for future generations. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

Judith Ellis said...

Marion - A gift is indeed a great way to define the text. It was beautiful. I loved the "unconditionally" bit. That is the way our mother treated us when we were a bit out there and the way I have loved them similarily. Sheldon's an excellent single dad--with the help of his parents, of course. :-) He's studying business and wants to run psychiatric clinics to help young people in particular. He’s an incredibly perceptive and thoughtful young man and has been this way his entire life.

Corrie Howe said...

How wonderful to have a good relationship with your nephews and nieces.

Judith Ellis said...

We are blessed indeed, Corrie. But it is a relationship that we all can have. I try to give a bit of love to everyone I meet.

The Write Girl said...

Hi Judith,

You have an awesome and wonderful family. From reading your thoughtful and intelligent posts, I know you are full of wisdom, love, and spirit. I am sure you are an amazing aunt.

Judith Ellis said...

Hi The Write Girl - Good to see you. I'd like to think so. You are an amazing poet! There isn't one poem that you've written that I haven't loved. What a gift for words you have and what a wonderful young lady you seem to be. I'm sure your family is proud of you. I have several very eligible nephews; are you single? :-)

septembermom said...

What a wonderful young man! I know that your nieces and nephews must feel truly blessed to have a super aunt like you :) God bless all of your family.

Judith Ellis said...

Kelly - Thanks. May God continue to bless you and yours too.

Dave Wheeler said...

Auntie J,

I am sure that Sheldon is equally proud of you. Sharp, supportive, involved and engaged, your influence reaches beyond your family and touches many lives. You're pretty special indeed...

Judith Ellis said...

Thanks, Dave, for those encouraging words. They're appreciated.