Friday, October 16, 2009

Being a Child

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God."

--Jesus Christ

This child's question and response to President Obama is the reason, if none other, that we should be more restrained in our rhetoric. Children are listening.

He asks: "Why do people hate you?"

He then adds: "They're supposed to love you."


Watch CBS News Videos Online

When adults behave badly we snuff out the goodness and innocence of children. Children are sponges. We really must be more careful; children are watching and listening.

4 comments:

septembermom said...

I could cry thinking that this young man had to ask this question. Our children ARE listening.

Judith Ellis said...

It was very sad for me too, Kelly. I remember how very observant I was even at a much younger age. I really try to be careful, especially when children are nearby or have the potential of hearing my words or seeing my actions.

Bob Foster said...

Judith - I think you have hit on one of the most important issues of today. What does an impressionable young child learn by watching even some of the vitriol on TV, or maybe listening to adults talking in their own home?

Your post so moved me that I had to carry it on, so I made a post on my blog and liberally quoted you. I hope you don't mind.

I find this issue very troubling.

Judith Ellis said...

Bob - Your blog is one that I follow regularly for its value to small business. I am honored that you "carried it on." I too see this issue as one of the most important issues of our day and yet we are not talking about it. I honor you.