Sunday, October 4, 2009

Being Inspired by Others

President Obama and First Lady Michelle celebrated their 17th wedding anniversary Saturday night at The Blue Duck Tavern near Georgetown. They were married October 3, 1992.



Evening Song

Full moon rising on the waters of my heart,
Lakes and moon and fires,
Cloine tires,
Holding her lips apart.

Promises of slumber leaving shore to charm the moon,
Miracle made vesper-keeps,
Cloine sleeps,
And I'll be sleeping soon.

Cloine, curled like the sleepy waters where the moonwaves start,
Radiant, resplendently she gleams,
Cloine dreams,
Lips pressed against my heart.

--Jean Toomer



Happy 17th anniversary Mr. President and First Lady Michelle! They're an inspiration for what seems to be true love and mutual respect. How wonderful it seems.

8 comments:

Pamela Cone said...

I think they are beautiful people and make a beautiful couple. What a wonderful example.

Beautiful poem by Toomer--"charm the moon"

Judith Ellis said...

Yes, Pam, they are beautiful people and for me this beauty goes well beyond physicality to the essence of who they both seem to be: caring, intelligent, wonderful parents and thoughtful.

I love Toomer! He was a dear friend and lover of someone else who I love, Georgia O'Keeffe.

Pamela Cone said...

You were friends with Jean Toomer? How wonderful that must have been. And I love Georgia O'Keefe. I just watched her movie on Lifetime last week.

You are such an interesting person. I look forward to your blog.

Thank you!

Pam

Judith Ellis said...

I WISH! There are many great and wonderful people with whom I have and have had great relationships. Unfortunately, Toomer and O'Keeffe are not among these. :-) Toomer and O'Keeffe, it has been written, were lovers. And yes, my life has always been and continue to be quite fascinating indeed. I am happy that you pass through, Pam.
You're a solid and thoughtful person. I'm glad to have you here.

septembermom said...

Toomer's poem is lovely. I love the first line especially. So elegantly expressed. It is wonderful to have a President and First Lady so obviously in love. Their example of marital love and commitment is a nice thing to see on the front page these days, instead of those typical celebrity/politician infidelity scandals.

Judith Ellis said...

Ah, how true that is, Kelly. What a beautiful example. Congratulations again on your recent wedding anniversary.

Pamela Cone said...

I'm sorry I missed interpreted your statement.

I didn't know about O'Keeffe and Toomer's relationship--interesting.

I have read some of his work. This has re-spared my interest in him.

Judith Ellis said...

I'm sorry too, Pam, as I wish it was so, my friend. :-)