Thursday, October 2, 2008

Being in a New Beginning

Many of our ideas on issues such as gender (New Testament teachings) and finances (Old Testament stories) often evolved, wittingly or not, out of perceived biblical notions that are:

a) allegorical
b) spoken to a specific group and time
c) spoken by men of clay feet

In the words of my brother, who is a wonderful minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "all scriptures in the Bible are truly spoken, but not all scriptures are true."

In spite of the particular ideology of his day and the impending gloom, the Prophet Joel of the Old Testament saw something greater. He saw something more hopeful than the ill-conceived perceptions and actions of those of his day.

The Prophet Joel spoke hope into the future. He spoke of the ensuing equality of men and women and the profound outcome of such thought variance to change the world to address issues of all kind, including fiances and peace.

Joel 2:28-29:

"And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy. Your old men shall see visions, and also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour of My spirit in those day. I will show wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth beneath. Blood and fire and vapor of smoke."

It can be asserted that the apocalyptic sense is not literal, but can be seen as an allegory representing renewal, a new beginning; there is always an ending before a beginning. We are now entering into a new beginning.

May God bless us all, each and every one.

No comments: