Friday, February 6, 2009

Being One

The Three Dog Night song, "One," has always been a favorite tune.

The lyrics are also interesting.

"One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do"

This implies that one is a verb, an action word, not a noun.

In this difficult season, do not forget to do.

Surround yourself with others who are doing stuff, not just two.



One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
Two can be as bad as one
It's the loneliest number since the number one

No is the saddest experience you'll ever know
Yes, it's the saddest experience you'll ever know

'Cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
One is the loneliest number, whoa-oh, worse than two

It's just no good anymore since you went away
Now I spend my time just making rhymes of yesterday

One is the loneliest number
One is the loneliest number
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

One is the loneliest
One is the loneliest
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

It's just no good anymore since you went away

(number)
One is the loneliest (number)
One is the loneliest (number)
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

(number)
One is the loneliest (number)
One is the loneliest (number)
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

(number)
One...! (one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do)
(number)
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
(number)
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

(written by Harry Nilsson)

8 comments:

CJ said...

Dang! Brings back memories.

Used to go to the Stockwell library and listen to the Greatest Three Dog Night hits selection. Those were in the days waaayyy before YouTube.

I've always liked 3 Dog Night!

Never thought of you as a Three Dog Night fan, Judith!

CJ

CJ said...

Additionally...

My wife, born in 1982--when I tell her of songs like that, she says, "Huh?"

I even remember once having to explain to her who John Lennon was. Her mom is a staunch Beatle head, just like I am.

But she is into the Old School Soul of the 70s and 80s. She was brought up on it.

Boy I feel old!

Judith Ellis said...

Ah, CJ, I'm sure what you remember back during our Michigan days is me singing opera in gilded halls. But, my friend, I too rocked away in the Stockwell library jamming to tunes the likes that North Campus library did not have. But there is no doubt that you were probably rocking way more at the time than me. Those were the days indeed!

I remember many of these songs as a kid, as my sisters and brothers are all older. Man, they were jamming, though often secretly. The lyrics and constant beat my mother did not always appreciate. She loved hymns (Mahalia Jackson) and classical music.

I see CJ that you have indeed married a young one. All the very best! I thought everyone knew who John Lennon was! But it's way cool that she's into Old School! Whew!

By the way, my 18-year-old nephew, who has a rock band, knows ALL of the bands from the 60s and 70s and covers many of them, in addition to original stuff. Technology is a marvelous thing!

Opaque said...

Ah, I love this song. But, I must say that this is the only song, from the band that I listen to.

Well, for me, it is thanks to youtube!!! I learnt about their music via a friend over youtube.

It makes so much sense!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Judith Ellis said...

It's my pleaure, Brosreview. I also love "Joy to the World." Check it out! I remember dancing around to this song as a kid. I believe I posted that song here too a few months back.

Judith Ellis said...

Brosreview - Just heard "Easy to be Hard" by Third Dog Night on Sirius and I like this one too.

Opaque said...

Sure!!! I shall google it now. Thanks Judith!!!

Judith Ellis said...

Pleasure! Let me know what you think. I just heard it for the first time today and remembered our conversation.