Thursday, February 5, 2009

Being Perfected in Love

Here is one of my dad's favorite singers, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf,
singing one of my favorite songs, Schumann's "Widmung."

This is in loving memory of my beautiful dad, though imperfect
in love, he loved all the same. "Perfect love casts out all fear."




Dedication

You my soul, you my heart,
you my bliss, o you my pain,
you the world in which I live;
you my heaven, in which I float,
o you my grave, into which
I eternally cast my grief.

You are rest, you are peace,
you are bestowed upon me from heaven.
That you love me makes me worthy of you;
your gaze transfigures me;
you raise me lovingly above myself,
my good spirit, my better self!

Poem by Friedrich Ruckert

4 comments:

Opaque said...

I love the raw simplicity that prevailed in the earlier days of music and lyrics. They were as simple as the english alphabets yet they managed be very effective.

Judith Ellis said...

Indeed, Brosreview. You are a wonderful lyricist. We often think that complicated text impresses. But it is always the simple line that draws.

I love e.e. cummings for his simple compelling lines. I will write a post on "Being Simple." Thank you for the inspiration. Keep on keepin' on. You are in a wealthy place.

By the way, Brosreview is looking for a home for his lyrics. All of you musicians out there do sample his stuff above. I love the simplicity of his lines and the bigness of his heart.

Embraceable.

Opaque said...

Thanks a lot Judith. I am glad you like my work(s).

Judith Ellis said...

I do. Thank you.