Friday, February 6, 2009

Being Simple

We often think that complicated texts or processes impress. But it is always the simple line text or process that draws, for it is our heart that recognizes such, not our head, even then our head is what had brought about the creation or innovation. This is true for everything that we do.

Whether in business or art, the simpler the better. But simple is not simplistic; the latter does not draw or uplift. It is staid and uninspiring. But simple is embraceable for its power of beauty and recognition. It is awesome; it is awe-inspiring.

Ah, we know it when we hear it; we know it when we see it, for it is the core of who we are at are essence. We recognize it in the lines of e.e. cummings, Pushkin, or Dostoevsky. We appreciated it in the design of the iPod or iPhone. It is what we yearn for; it is the the beauty within even when crowded about or covered upon.

4 comments:

Opaque said...

Precisely, it's like Albert Einstein put it - "Keep it simple, but not too simple".

I try my level best to keep my art work simple but it tends to get complicated. It is probably because I attempt to convey a lot via one piece of art. I dislike compromises.

I recall my dad saying "Simplicity is a charecteristic of greatness".

It makes sense and I am still trying to do/be so.

Judith, I was waiting for this post ever since your reply for the other one. Thanks for this!!!

Judith Ellis said...

Brosreview - Your recent comment here was the inspiration for this post. I thank you.

Thanks also for your words that are often so true and beautiful. They are often simple indeed and bear the greatness of which your dad spoke. I like him.

Simplicity is a single melody:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

(Aaron Copeland)

Here is Marilyn Horne's version.

The accompanist, Martin Katz, was my coach in college. I also have some wonderful stories about Marilyn Horne's former husband, the late Henry Lewis, and myself in Europe. I have so many stories.

Brosreview, keep going strong bright beautiful artistic one. You are heading towards even greater wonderful things.

Opaque said...

Oh, thanks a lot Judith!!! This means so much to me!!! I shall check out Marilyn Horne's version now.

The lines are in itself simple, precise and effective. I wish I could write something like that.

Thank you Judith.

Judith Ellis said...

Ah, you can, Brosreview! You can!